2018 Annual General Meeting
The 2018 CINS Annual General Meeting will take place at the University of Windsor, from Friday afternoon (4pm), Oct 12 through Sunday morning, Oct 14.
With the loss of Canada’s major neutron source, and the expiry of special access for Canadians at the Spallation Neutron Source in the USA, this is a pivotal time for key decisions affecting the future of CINS (including bylaw changes) and access to neutron beams for Canadians (e.g. establishing a governance structure for national neutron beam resources).
An associated workshop will foster discussion with industry about the future for neutron beams in Canada.
Zoya Leonenko, Professor, Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo
Rob Dimeo, Director, NIST Center for Neutron Research (USA)
Steve Nagler, Director of Quantum Condensed Matter Division, Neutron Sciences, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (USA)
Benjamin Tutolo, Assistant Professor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary
Outline of Events – View Agenda
Friday evening – 4pm-7pm
- 4pm Welcome
- 4pm Science Talk – Zoya Leonenko, Professor, Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo
- 5pm CNBC Update: Dispositioning equipment
- 5:30 Bibliographic analysis of the Canadian neutron scattering community
- 6pm Business I (including discussion of bylaw changes)
Saturday Workshop – 8am-9pm, meals included
Securing a future for neutron scattering in Canada: Aligning industrial and academic needs
- 8am Registration, coffee and informal discussions
- 9am “Need for Neutrons” – Thad Harroun
- 9:30 NSERC Presentation
- 10am Capabilities and opportunities for industry and researchers
- McMaster neutron scattering program – Pat Clancy
- Oak Ridge National Lab – Steve Nagler
- NIST Centre for Neutron Research – Robert Dimeo
- 11:15 Gaining access and Canadian partnerships
- Canadian Neutron Initiative and a new governance structure for neutron resources – John Root, Daniel Banks
- Discussion on how the McMaster Nuclear Reactor can assist industry – Bruce Gaulin
- 12pm Lunch and research program highlights
- 1:30 Industrial neutron needs and opportunities
- MNR upgrade partnerships | Chris Heysel
- Nemak neutron needs | Rob MacKay
- T&T Scientific opportunities
- Open discussion
- 3pm Discussion Break
- 3:30 Funding Opportunities: CFI and RTI applications
- 4:30 Workshop closing remarks
- 6pm Reception at Windsor Club
- 7pm Dinner at Windsor Club
Sunday morning – 9am-noon
- 9am Science Talk – Benjamin Tutolo, Assistant Professor, Department of Geoscience, University of Calgary
- 10am CINS Business II (voting on bylaw changes, elections)
Registration is free. Please register by September 21 using the following form:
The meetings will be held in the Pitt Ferry building (167 Ferry St) of the downtown campus.
The hotel will be the Best Western Plus Waterfront on Riverside drive which is a 250 m walk to the Pitt Ferry building.
Guests are responsible for making their own hotel room reservations by Erin Gagnon at 519.973.4260 and reference “Canadian Institute for Neutron Scattering” by September 21th.
|Room||Single Rate||Double Rate||Triple Rate||Quad Rate|
|One Bed (10)||$129||$129|
|Two beds (10)||$129||$129||$144||$159|
These rates Include: Free WIFI, Free Local Calls and a complimentary breakfast buffet.