Apply for a Travel Grant

CINS will reimburse travel to a neutron scattering facility for first-time visits to participate in an experiment. Reimbursement will be up to $400 per person per trip or actual costs, whichever is less, subject to the availability of CINS funds.

  • The travel must be pre-approved in advance of the travel. Please email the CINS Secretary-Treasurer to seek pre-approval and provide the Secretary-Treasurer with a letter of explanation outlining the purpose of the travel.


You are eligible for reimbursement only if you are an undergraduate student, graduate student or a post-doctoral fellow at a university that is an institutional member of CINS in good standing. Preference will be given to graduate students.

If you received a travel grant as an undergraduate student, you can receive a subsequent travel grant as a graduate student.


You must personally submit a reimbursement claim within two months following the travel. The claim must include:

  • Pre-approval correspondence
  • Original receipts in order to justify the amount being claimed ($400 or less)
  • Boarding passes if the claim includes airfare

Original receipts will not be returned.

Claims should be mailed to the CINS Secretary-Treasurer.